Entry-level Firefighter and Firefighter/Paramedic Application Period Now Open
Minimum requirements include:
– At least 18 years of age
– High school diploma or equivalent
– Ability to read, write and speak English
– Ability to legally operate a vehicle in the State of Washington
– At the time of hire, ability to provide documentation showing authorization to work in the United States.
– Candidates shall be tobacco free at time of appointment and throughout service.
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification is not required at time of application. All recruits will be required to successfully complete five-week EMS Academy, 13-week Recruit Academy, Firefighter I, Firefighter II and Hazardous Materials certifications. All candidates without Paramedic certification will attend EMT certification training during the five-week EMS Academy.
Candidates with fire service experience may be considered for lateral employment. Requirements are prior work experience as a full-time, paid Firefighter/EMT or Firefighter/Paramedic with primary duties of fire suppression and emergency medical services; serving a municipal fire department, fire district, or fire authority of a similar size and/or complexity.
For a full list of requirements, testing process and timeline, please visit West Pierce Fire & Rescue’s website.