Did you know that vehicle crashes are the leading cause of preventable deaths and injuries to children in the United States? It is important to know about child passenger safety and the importance of booster seats to stay safe in cars.
In this lesson, students will learn:
- Why a booster seat is important
- What Washington State law requires about booster seats
- How best the seat belt should fit
Links to resources, handouts and worksheets are linked below.
We know car seats can be difficult to install. Here are the basics for parents to remember:
- Read and follow your car seat instructions. If you have misplaced your instructions, you should order a new set by contacting the manufacturer. Also, you can use the car seat model name/number/date to download instructions on the manufacturer’s website.
- Read and follow your vehicle instructions. Be sure you know where in the back seat a car seat may be installed. Many vehicles don’t allow use of the lower anchors in the center of the back seat, so you may need to use a seat belt if installing there.
- Watch online usage videos. These videos walk you through proper installation and/or how to harness your child. Watch videos after reading your car seat and vehicle instructions. The most reliable videos about specific car seat models are ones accessed from the manufacturer’s website. General car seat installation videos may also be helpful.
- Call, email or FaceTime! Contact your local car seat inspection services and see what assistance they can provide by remote access. We offer car seat consultations to residents of Lakewood, University Place and Steilacoom by appointment. Call us at (253) 564-1623 for help!
The Ultimate Car Seat Guide
General car seat installation videos